Information for EU/EEA Citizens:

We have many European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) citizens living and working across Bristol North West, including hundreds of NHS workers at Southmead Hospital.

Darren asked the Immigration Minister in April 2018 how you can apply to remain in the UK after Brexit. Here’s what he found out:



From 29th March 2019, EU and EEA citizens living in the UK (and their family members) can apply for ‘Settled Status’, the right to stay in the UK, following Brexit.

Settled status means the right to stay, work, and receive full benefits, education and healthcare rights in the UK. Family members includes spouses, civil partners, direct descendants and dependent parents or grandparents of the EU citizen and her/his partner as defined above.

Who is eligible for settled status?

EU or EEA citizens (or a relevant family member of one) who have lived in the UK for five years, are eligible. You must be resident in the UK, and not have a ‘significant’ criminal record.

Other direct beneficiaries of an EU/EEA citizen (for example, a member of the same household who has a durable relationship with the EU citizen and is dependent on that EU citizen) may also be eligible.

Future family relationships (e.g. future spouses) are, according to the Government, “a matter for discussion”. We will know more about this when the Immigration Bill is presented to the House of Commons later this year.

Will I be eligible for permanent settled status, or temporary settled status?

If you have been living in the UK for five years or more, you can claim permanent settled status.

If you have entered the UK, intending to stay, at any point up to 28th March 2019, you will have the right to apply for Pre-settled status, which will last until you can demonstrate five years’ residence. You can then apply for Settled Status.

How can I access this service?

Applications can be made through a portal to be set-up on the website, or by telephone if needed. Applications will be managed by the Home Office.

It is also possible that public application points (for example, in local libraries) will be made available.

We will post the relevant details when the Home Office announce them.

What evidence do I need to provider?

You will need to show that you have been resident in the UK for five years or less. This can be proved by council tax bills, housing ownership/rental documents, GP surgery registration, and/or utility bills.

You will need to show that you are an EU/EEA citizen. This can be proved with your birth certificate, passport or ID documentation.

And you will need to declare that you don’t have a criminal record. This will be checked.

There will be positive presumption that EU citizens who have entered the UK at any time up until 29th March 2019 will be allowed to stay.

How much will it cost me to apply?

An application will cost £65.00 for an adult and £32.50 for each child under 18. Family members who have entered under EU Treaty rights up until 29.3.19 can also apply.

If the application is for pre-settled status, there will not be an additional fee to change this to settled status once the five years’ residence has been attained.

How long will I be able to apply to the service for?

EU or EEA citizens will be able to access this service from 29th March 2019 until the end of June 2021.

Early application is encouraged.

I need further information/advice:

For further specialist information or to discuss points not covered here, you can contact the Europe Direct team at Avon and Bristol Law Centre: or via their website.

From March 2019 onwards:

If you have applied for pre-settled or settled status and not received a response within the government’s designated services standards, you can contact Darren for support by emailing or writing to Darren Jones MP, House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA.

Please ensure your email/ letter contains:

  • full name;
  • address (including postcode);
  • any relevant application details including the date you applied;
  • what you have applied for (pre-settled or settled status);
  • your application number and
  • please advise if you have applied for other family members within the same application. If so, please list their full names, relationship to you and ages.

Darren’s team of caseworkers will be able to contact the Home Office and ascertain the status of your application if it is overdue.

We anticipate an increase in the volume of enquiries from EU/EEA Citizens in the months running up to, and after, March 2019. We aim to start progression of your casefile within 2-3 weeks of receipt.

Accuracy of this webpage:

This webpage will be updated as new information is available but it should not be relied for immigration/legal advice. The information is correct as of August 2018.