, ,

Darren calls for post-treatment support for breast cancer patients

Darren Jones MP has written to the NHS South West Cancer Care Alliance Manager in the Bristol area asking that they re-assess how they support patients at the end of their breast cancer treatment and to ensure they have access to post-treatment health and wellbeing advice events.

Darren said:

“At present, there is not enough support for patients reaching the end of what is a physically and emotionally draining treatment process – this is unacceptable and must change.”

, , , , , , , , ,

Darren continues to demand transport investment.

Labour MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones has continued to call for large-scale improvements to transport infrastructure in North Bristol following a gridlock conference on Saturday 7th July.

Darren continued to put the needs of his constituents first by bringing together a wide range of experts and community groups from his constituency.

The group discussed the gridlock hot stops across the North Bristol corridor and how they may be impacted by further developments such as the proposed expansion of Cribbs Causeway, new housing developments at Filton airfield, the potential arena at Filton alongside the lifting of Severn Bridge Tolls. Attendees then debated how a Transport Fund for North Bristol could be spent to support solutions to the congestion faced by drivers, encourage more sustainable travel and boost the area’s limited rail, bus and cycle networks.

Ahead of the Gridlock Conference that he chaired, Bristol North West MP, Darren Jones had previously launched a petition calling on the region’s metro mayor, Tim Bowles, to commit at least £50m to a new transport fund for north Bristol and voiced his concerns about congestion with members of the Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP). Darren encouraged the LEP to back plans to invest £50 million into his North Bristol Transport Fund initiative.

Darren said:

“North Bristol is undergoing intensive development alongside a transport system and road network that is struggling to cope with current, let alone future, demands. Congestion is rife and it affects my constituents and local businesses every single day, not just in respect of travel time and parking but also our continued failure to meet air pollution targets. Transport is the number one local concern in North Bristol and anyone who uses our roads, buses and limited local rail network knows our infrastructure can’t cope with proposed development of thousands of new homes and new businesses. Walking is often not safe and cycle routes are inadequate.

With tens of thousands of new homes, plans to expand the Mall at Cribbs Causeway, the lifting of the tolls on the Severn Bridge (with no assessment of how many extra cars this will bring) and the potential for the Bristol Arena to move to North Bristol, we must get our transport solutions sorted now. My Gridlock Conference brought together representatives of transport providers, transport campaign groups, developers, community groups and business representatives who by working together can help to develop a North Bristol Transport Plan.

I had hoped this would be a cross-party initiative – for the benefit of North Bristol. I was keen to work with the Conservative Metro Mayor, Tim Bowles alongside Labour colleagues and I remain disappointed that the Metro Mayor refused to attend this meeting. For my North Bristol Transport Plan to work, we need a North Bristol Transport Fund. The LEP and the Metro Mayor have the ability to fund this, which is why I’m continuing to call on them to get involved and to deliver for my constituents and for North Bristol.”

Local residents can sign up to support Darren’s call for a £50m North Bristol Transport Fund for road, rail, bus, cycling and walking improvements by signing his petition here. 

, , ,

Darren meets Bristol North West NHS70 Award Winner

To mark the 70th anniversary of the NHS, the Prime Minister awarded just seven volunteers for their outstanding health and social care achievements – Bristol North West resident Gillian was one of these seven award winners. Gillian has volunteered with families of children in Bristol Royal Hospital for Children over the last 31 years.

Gillian leads the ‘Friends for Parents’ a volunteer initiative at the hospital. The service provides everything parents might need while their children are in hospital – from delivering toiletry packs, to running errands for parents who do not want to leave their children’s bedsides, there is no job too big or small for Gillian and her team – that is why she is the 949th Point of Light (a cross-party award scheme).

Darren said after the visit:

” I would like to formally congratulate Gillian on being chosen as one of the NHS70 Point of Light award winners. Gillian’s fantastic work has inspired hospitals across the world to adopt the successful ‘Friends for Parents’ model, including institutions in Malta and Africa. Long may Gillian continue to provide this much needed service, and act a role model, to so many. I speak on behalf of all of Bristol North West – and indeed Bristol – when I say thank you Gillian”.

You can follow Darren’s work on health here.

, , , ,

Darren opens school’s new woodland

As part of his mission to visit every school in Bristol North West, Darren Jones MP recently visited Our Lady of the Rosary Primary School in Lawrence Weston to open their new woodland – named the St Francis Woodland. Year 5 students were asked to plan where, working with the Woodland Trust, 420 new tree saplings would be planted. Then, with the help of many parents, each child in the school was able to plant two saplings. The children (and adults) really enjoyed the experience especially when worms were discovered!

” This is the first time I have been asked to open a new school woodland – I feel privileged as it is vital that children and young people learn about the natural environment and how to use, protect and enjoy it. I hope the new woodland thrives and this is the first of many planned in local schools”.

You can follow Darren’s work on education here.

, , , ,

Darren meets Pickles!

On Friday 6th July, Darren joined local residents, Greenway Centre staff and Southmead Councillors Helen Godwin and Brenda Massey in meeting a new addition to the Greenway Café- Pickles McPrickles the Gromit.

“It was fantastic to see Pickles so at home at the Greenway Centre in Southmead and all in aid of Gromit Unleashed – a truly wonderful Bristol charity that benefits families right across our city. Visit Pickles, enjoy a snack in the café, seek out the other Bristol North West Gromit at Blaise Castle and be sure to donate to this great cause!”

, , , ,

MP chairs YardArts meeting – notes now available.

MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones  hosted a public meeting with around 50 local residents regarding the proposed YardArts development on Penpole Lane in Shirehampton on 29th June – thank you to everyone who attended. The notes of this meeting are available to view/print below.

Darren said:

“Following my recent survey, over 450 local residents  contacted me to share their views about the proposed YardArts site on Penpole Lane. The majority were against the plans, or at least what we knew of them at the time of writing, and wanted to find out more. I therefore arranged a public meeting on Friday 29th June at the Shirehampton Methodist Church along with YardArts and the landowner of the Karakal site. There was an update received on plans from both parties as well as a useful Question and Answer session. Those able to attend said they found the opportunity useful to hear directly from both parties what they hope to do with the site.

A planning application will be going live from YardArts very soon – please make sure you submit any comments/concerns you have direct to the council so they can take them into consideration. Once the application is live you can do that via this link“.

Meetings notes available here: YardArts Notes 29 6 18

, , , , , , , , , ,

Darren backs local shops – nominate your high street now!

Bristol North West MP, Darren Jones MP has backed local high streets and urged the government to do more to protect local jobs and the heart of our local communities.

Darren said:

” We know our high streets and shopping parades are struggling – shops are closing across the country and I see the impact of vacant stores here in Bristol North West. Almost 70,000 retail jobs, including shop-floor roles, are set to be axed this year in Britain – according to a new report released by retail magnate Bill Grimsey. His review suggests high streets are facing “their greatest challenge in history”.

Just yesterday, a resident of Westbury-on-Trym shared their concerns about a vacant premise becoming a target for petty vandalism and the number of stores now empty in the village. I’ll be meeting with a representative from Westbury Business Association next week to discuss what I can do to help champion all of our high streets.

The government must urgently re-assess the support they are giving to small, family run shops, as well as the medium and larger chains who are not immune to these pressures, and the rates they charge them – high streets are the lifeblood of our communities.

I’m also working hard to bring infrastructure investment to Bristol North West – we know congestion, and irregular or unreliable bus, rail and cycle routes can put people off visiting a high street and only encourages them to visit out-of-town retailers and shop online. Our transport network must support local high streets and encourage use of public transport.

I am also urging residents to do their bit – shop locally, support locally-run businesses and nominate their high street for the Visa Great British High Street competition“.

#MyHighStreet

, , , , , ,

Darren visits Southmead Community Centre and Westbury on Trym C of E Academy

On Saturday 30th  June, as part of his programme of summer fete visits, Darren Jones MP visited Southmead Community Centre and Westbury on Trym Church of England Academy.

Darren said after the visits:

“It’s the start of the summer fayre session! I popped by the excellent Southmead Community Centre and WOT PTA last weekend. These fantastic events are all down to the dedication of excellent volunteers – they work really hard to make these events a success for local families and the community – thank you!”

You can follow Darren’s work on education here.

, , ,

Darren thanks NHS staff and volunteers! #NHS70

The NHS was brought into existence on 5th July 1948 under a Labour government – today marks the NHS’ 70th birthday. On this special occasion, Bristol North West MP,  Darren Jones MP thanked everyone who supports the NHS ensuring to include staff and volunteers from across both health and social care services:

Darren said:

” On behalf of everyone in Bristol North West – today and every day – thank you NHS staff, volunteers, charities and fundraisers. We literally wouldn’t be here without you!”‬

To celebrate #NHS70, CQC has published 70 stories highlighting individuals who have gone ‘over and above’ and made a significant impact on the care people receive across health and social care services.

Importantly, while it’s the NHS that’s celebrating a birthday, these stories include people working alongside NHS services in adult social care who we all know have also played a vital and integral role.

This collection of short case studies is part of a series highlighting the work that individuals – from volunteers, to front line staff to senior leaders – have done to deliver great services across acute and mental health NHS trusts, primary care and adult social care.

Darren also praised the fundraising efforts of the Southmead Hospital Charity and will be visiting the volunteers in the coming weeks to see the new patient ambulance unveiled as part of the hospital’s 70th birthday celebrations:

” Whilst the government undermine our health service, privatise by the back door and chip away at funding and our dedicated NHS staff – its these fundraisers, NHS staff and the people who donated in support of this wonderful ambulance that deserve our attention! They are what represents #NHS70 each and every day~.

, , , , , ,

Darren champions local parks and open spaces

On Friday 29th and 30th June, Darren visited Lawrence Weston Moors with Avon Wildlife Trust and attended a wildlife walk with local expert, Steve England, and the Friends of Lamplighters Marsh. This follows Darren’s recent nomination to Groundworks for the Friends on-going efforts to protect and sustain the local environment at the Marsh.

Darren said after the visits:

” What a wonderful couple of visits in the sunshine – I was keen to find out, Bristol North West has the most green space in Bristol, from super parks like Blaise Castle, the Downs and nature reserves in Avonmouth, Sea Mills and Lawrence Weston to vital woodland habitats and ancient trees in Kingsweston, Blaise and Stoke Park. it is vital we protect, maintain and use these beautiful parks and open spaces. These spaces are so important as they help to keep us fit and healthy and encourage us to meet our neighbours and bond as community.”‬