, , , ,

Darren visits Lawrence Weston BMX Track

Darren Jones, MP for Bristol North West, recently visited the new BMX track in Lawrence Weston.

Darren said:

“My first bike was a BMX, but we didn’t have a BMX track then! The BMX track on Henacre Road in Lawrence Weston is a great asset for local kids, and hats off to the parents volunteering to make it happen week in, week out. I would love to see more free family-focussed facilities like this across Bristol North West”.

If your Bristol North West-based club would like Darren visit, please send the request to his office via: darren.jones.mp@parliament.uk. Darren’s diary is pretty busy but we’ll do our best to find a suitable date and time.

, , , , ,

Darren calls for end to two-child limit policy on Benefits

Darren Jones MP has signed a cross-party letter led by colleague Rushanara Ali, calling on the Prime Minister, Chancellor and Esther McVey to scrap the cruel two-child limit on some benefit entitlements.

Darren Jones MP said:

” Whilst the government claim this policy is to encourage future ‘responsible parenting’, in many cases it has been applied retrospectively to families who already have 2+ children! Since coming into effect last April, the two-child limit policy has affected an estimated 400,000 children and will eventually affect around 3 million children once the transitional protection runs out – including 5000 in Bristol North West. Each of these families will be £4,000 a year worse off, on average, than in the absence of the policy.

I want to stop the policy being extended to all new Universal Credit claimants from February next year.

In the letter signed by over 100 MP’s we say:

“The two-child limit makes it harder for working families with more than two children to work their way out of poverty, however hard they try to improve their situation. Furthermore, many non-working families will no longer be able to escape the impact of the benefit cap by moving into employment, because they would instead be caught by the two-child limit.”

“The complex rules for applying the two-child limit, including the lengthening list of exemptions, undermine the aim of making the benefits system simpler to understand and easier to administer“.

See the letter here: Universal Credit – Letter

, , ,

Darren calls for restoration of Migrant Impact Fund

Darren Jones MP for Bristol North West, has called for the Migrant Impact Fund to be restored in the Chancellor’s Autumn Budget on Monday (29th October).

Darren Jones MP said:

“The £50m fund was set-up several years ago in response to local government’s legitimate concerns that they needed central funding to help support any unexpected pressure on local services such as housing, schools and hospitals. This is common sense and the fund should have never been replaced with the much less effective Controlling Migration Fund which does not fund things such as additional pressures on healthcare. This change was an ill-thought out, backwards step that only helps to fans the flames of prejudice – it must be reversed“.

, , , ,

Darren shares concern about trucks using Iron Bridge route and minor roads

Darren Jones, MP for Bristol North West, has commented on the on-going problems of lorries and trucks getting stuck under/damaging the iron bridge in Shirehampton (see picture of incident on 25 10 18) and causing traffic chaos whilst they find their way back to the main roads.

Darren said:

“We have got to stop industrial trucks from taking short cuts to Avonmouth via Kingsweston Lane through Kingsweston and Lawrence Weston. They need to use the Portway and the motorway quality roads between Shirehampton and Avonmouth villages to get into and out of our industrial area. Not only do they not fit, but it significantly increases the risk of accidents.

I’ve written to our Mayor to ask what we can do to make this change happen”.

Update, 28.11.18: 

In response to the above incident and concerns about large vehicles being told to use the wrong roads by Sat-Navs, Darren asked the Government the following Parliamentary question:

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, whether his Department holds discussions with Satnav companies on the suitability of roads for certain vehicles due weight and height restrictions?

The Secretary of State replied:

The Department has had no such recent discussions.

The Department is aware that manufacturers produce special satnav devices for lorries, in order to provide them with routing information appropriate to their vehicle.

The Government has invested £3 million to help create a digital road map, with one aim being to ensure traffic keeps moving efficiently and safely on suitable routes. It includes information such as road widths, which could be used in satnavs to improve the quality and accuracy of routing advice. The map is available online at: www.os.uk/highways.

Routing guidance provided by satnavs should only ever be considered as advisory. It is for individual device owners to ensure that they use their satnavs responsibly and with a proper understanding of their limitations. It is for individuals to determine the best route for their journey.

To follow Darren’s work on Transport click here.

, , , , ,

Darren holds Transport Forum

Darren Jones, MP for Bristol North West, held a Transport Forum for constituents on Friday 19th October.

Attendees were divided into 5 groups to discuss ideas for improving: roads/congestion (particularly around Crow Lane in Henbury and in Southmead), buses and bus lanes, cycling, rail and connectivity between North and South of the constituency (Henbury to Shirehampton).

Darren said:

“Thanks to the twenty or so residents who came to Henbury & Brentry Community Centre tonight to discuss my North Bristol Transport Plan. We discussed everything from super cycle highways to new bus lanes, a park and ride and lift sharing service to train stations and reconfigured road networks. An online survey to share your views on will be available for those who couldn’t make it tonight soon”.

To follow Darren’s work on Transport click here.

, , , ,

Darren calls for investment in bowel cancer diagnosis

MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones has signed a cross-party letter, along with 44 other MPs, calling on the government to commit to dramatically improve the speed of diagnosis of bowel cancer.

The letter backs Bowel Cancer UK’s campaign to ensure bowel cancer is diagnosed quickly so patients have access to treatment and the highest possible chance of beating the disease.

Darren said:

Ahead of the Government’s spending review and publication of the NHS 10 Year Plan in November, I’ve signed a cross-party letter supporting Bowel Cancer UK‘s campaign to end the crisis in diagnosis.

Early diagnosis can make bowel cancer more treatable and potentially, curable. Too many people are waiting far too long to get screened and tested – with investment and commitment to a funded action plan the government have the power to change this. With 9 of 10 people diagnosed at the earliest stage surviving bowel cancer, I call on them to act now, ahead of the Autumn Budget, to bring an end to this potentially life-threatening crisis!”

, , ,

Darren visits St Monica Trust Retirement Home

Darren Jones, MP for Bristol North West, recently met with residents from St Monica Trust Retirement Home on Cote Lane.

Darren said:

“It was great to meet residents of the St Monica Trust Retirement Home on Cote Lane recently. I was asked to give a talk about how I came into politics, getting elected and my first year in this rather unusual ‘Brexit Parliament’ which also happened to include becoming a dad.

We also chatted about my work to champion Bristol North West and how we can end the scourge of human trafficking and modern slavery in Bristol.

I also got to hear about the renovations being undertaken to the chapel from the Reverend Alan Cook and hear about resident’s concerns and hopes for the future”.

If your Bristol North West-based group would like Darren to give a talk or do a Q and A, please send the request to his office via: darren.jones.mp@parliament.uk. Darren’s diary is pretty busy but we’ll do our best to find a suitable date and time.

, , , ,

MP calls on Chancellor to protect income under Universal Credit

Ahead of the forthcoming Autumn Budget, Bristol North West MP Darren Jones has called on the Chancellor to keep the government’s promise that no benefit claimant would suffer financial hardship, or receive less income, under Universal Credit.

This is not the first time Darren has spoken out – he also called on the Chancellor in last year’s budget to make changes to the scheme and ensure families were not facing debt because of Universal Credit. Darren also pushed for a delay to the roll-out of Universal Credit for new claimants in October last year – at that time Darren called for “the multiple flaws in the system to be sorted out or the roll-out must be put on hold”.

Whilst the government made a number of small improvements to Universal Credit for new claimants, the so-called ‘managed migration’ of hundreds of thousands of existing claimants of 6 benefit groups (including ESA, Child Tax Credit and Income Support) has continued to cause widespread concern.

Ahead of the budget, Darren said:

“Universal Credit, as it stands, is a cruel and shambolic system forcing many into debt. Claims often take weeks and weeks to resolve!

It seems from today’s (16th October 2018) leaked reports, the government are considering delaying movement of 6 groups of existing benefit claimants onto Universal Credit until at least next summer (rather than January) with most moving from 2020-2023.

They are also considering supporting people on ESA, Job Seekers and Income support for 2 extra weeks whilst their Universal Credit claim is sorted along with better help for the self-employed, whose income fluctuates. It’s a disgrace that the same cover period won’t be considered for child tax credits – which are provided to low-income, often lone, working parents – because DWP and HMRC systems can’t be integrated! A similar ‘cover policy’ for those on Housing Benefit was only introduced last year after people started losing their homes because claims were often taking in excess of 6 weeks to assess.

I am clear that it should not take people to lose their homes, resort to food banks or go to unscrupulous lenders to survive for the government to act – especially when charities, MPs and advice organisations have been shouting warnings about financial hardship and waiting times for over a year. The government must keep its initial pledge that no-one should be worse-off by moving to Universal Credit. I call upon the Chancellor to use his Autumn Budget to keep that promise.

On a more practical level, once that promise has been kept, until the DWP has enough trained staff and working IT systems to move people across quickly and correctly, migration should be delayed indefinitely”.

, , ,

Darren backs need for investment in complex police investigations

Darren Jones MP has backed calls from the Police and Crime Commissioner, Sue Mountstevens, for the government to review the Police Allocation Formula (PAF) (which assesses the funding each police force receives from government) alongside the total funding set aside by central government for policing. Continued calls for the PAF to reconsidered come after the force has advised it faces an operational delivery gap of £15m by 2020/21 due to the rising levels of complex crime (which take more police time to investigate) including domestic abuse, sexual exploitation and child abuse. The gap equates to 300 police officers.

Darren Jones MP said:

“Avon and Somerset Constabulary are clear that to meet rising demand for complex criminal investigations they will incur an operational gap of £15m from 2020/2021. That’s the equivalent of 300 extra police officers needed to ensure complex crimes such as domestic abuse, sexual exploitation and child abuse are investigated properly.

Investigating these crimes, and other complex cases, are not negotiable. Therefore, the way money is divided between police forces, and the total government funding available to all forces, must be urgently re-considered. We can’t keep propping up our vital public services by adding a few pounds to council tax whilst cuts are made elsewhere – a longer-term and sustainable solution is needed. I’ll be tabling a Parliamentary Question asking government what assessment they have made to ensure the current formula is fair and what date their long-awaited review will be published”.

, , ,

Darren becomes Honorary President of Westbury Squadron

Bristol North West MP Darren Jones recently accepted the honour of becoming the Honorary President of the 2442 Air Cadet Squadron based in Westbury-on-Trym.

Darren said:

” I really enjoyed attending a drill night in late August to see and meet the cadets and the team who support them. I was also able to join the Squadron for their annual Awards Evening held in September – it was inspiring to hear about the achievements and aspirations of young people from across Bristol North West”.

You can find out more about the squadron here.