, , , ,

Darren responds to Downs Seawalls Café application

Following a recent request for views on the application, MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones has submitted his feedback, on behalf of constituents, on the proposed café and toilet block near Seawalls on the Downs.

Darren said:

“Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts on the proposed new café on the Downs.

It is fair to say views were mixed, but most constituents who contacted me, were concerned about the impact on local roads/parking and ensuring the Downs are not commercialised – I have taken these points and shared those views with the council“.

 

, , , , ,

Darren meets Sea Mills 100 team and joins Sea Mills and Stoke Bishop Local Forum

Bristol North West MP, Darren Jones recently joined members of the team celebrating Sea Mill’s 100th Birthday. You can find out more and get involved in the centenary celebrations by visiting: http://seamills100.co.uk/

The evening before, Darren joined nearly 100 residents at the Sea Mills and Stoke Bishop Local Forum.

Darren said after the Forum:

“Thanks to the Sea Mills and Stoke Bishop Local Forum for inviting me to their meeting this evening. We covered my North Bristol Transport Plan, the number 3/4 bus routes, Stoke Lodge, tree planting, Sea Mills’ 100th birthday, the Downs Festival, local parking and cycling and the proposed new cafe on the Downs. And Brexit, of course.

If you’d like me to come to your local forum drop me an email on darren.jones.mp@parliament.uk”.

You can follow my work in the local area here.

, , , ,

Darren seeks views on Downs Seawalls Café application

MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones has asked constituents for feedback on the proposed café and toilet block near Seawalls on the Downs.

Darren said:

” I’ve sent a letter to residents who live near the proposed new cafe and toilets on The Downs seeking their views on the current planning application.

The deadline for comments is Monday 11th February, so whether for, against or neutral, please submit your comments to the council’s planning team by emailing: commonlandcasework@pins.gsi.gov.uk (application 18/04727/F) by Monday.

If you’re a constituent, and would like me to know your views, please share your submission with me by sending a copy to: darren.jones.mp@parliament.uk before 10pm on Sunday 10th February“.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

Darren calls for constituents to support library consultation

Get involved! Dates for your diary:

Labour-run Bristol City Council saved all of the city’s libraries from closure last year but, given the continued decline in government funding, they need our help to look at innovative ways of running the service in the future.

The council are hosting 4 events in Bristol North West to cover the libraries in our patch:

* Greenway Centre, Doncaster Road to talk about Southmead, Westbury, Henleaze, Horfield and Lockleaze libraries on: Wednesday 6 March 10 am to 12 pm or
Saturday 9 March 10 am to 12 pm.

* Shirehampton Public Hall,
Station Road to talk about Henbury, Shirehampton, Avonmouth and Sea Mills libraries on Monday 11 March 7pm to 9pm or Wednesday 13 March 10am to 12pm.

Spaces at these events must be booked in advance online. Reserve a space and find out more about the ideas gathering on:

www.bristol.gov.uk/libraryideas

 

, , , ,

MP shares news of Shirehampton YardArts Planning Application

Darren Jones MP for Bristol North West said:

“We received news in December 18 that the Karakal/Fairways site on Penpole Lane in Shirehampton had now been sold in its entirety to the owner of Karakal Factory.

The new owner confirmed to me they had no plans to pursue the former planning application for storage containers or the then live planning application for a circus village, caravan hard standings and workshop area submitted by YardArts.

I have now received formal confirmation the YardArts application has been withdrawn:

Prior to this news, I submitted an objection to the application at the request of hundreds of my constituents who contacted me to share their concerns”.

Following the constituent survey and public meeting held earlier in Summer 2018, MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones submitted his comments on YardArts’ Planning Application for the Fairways site off Penpole Lane, Shirehampton. You view the objection he submitted here.

 

, , , , , , , , , ,

Darren responds to West of England Transport Study

As part of the West of England Combined Authority transport study, Darren has fed in comments from the various community meetings he hosted in 2018 on local transport needs.

 

You can read the full letter below and read about all of the work Darren has done on transport by clicking here.

 

Transport Upgrades across Bristol North West

 

I write in response to the ongoing consultation on the Joint Spatial Plan – Technical Evidence Consultation further to our ongoing correspondence regarding the urgent investment needs in transport across North Bristol.

 

As we are both aware, our constituents live in an area that will see continued significant development in the coming years. Additional housing is of course welcomed, but transport infrastructure that is fit for the future is needed at the same time.

 

This is in addition to the transport upgrades required off the back of the removal of the tolls on the Severn Bridge, the potential Bristol Arena site, expanding retail at Cribbs Causeway and the expected investment in Avonmouth following the installation of flood sea defences.

 

M32 Corridor

 

One of the proposals put forward is for a new Park and Ride at the Bristol end of the M32 motorway, adjacent to the current turning route for the Metrobus.

 

This will result in development on unique blue finger soil sites on both sides of the M32 (the Lockleaze side being in my constituency of Bristol North West). This area was rejected for development when the initial Metrobus route was agreed in 2014 for this reason. Further, it was widely believed that a Park & Ride so close to Bristol City Centre would fail to serve its purpose and that a site further North of the proposed site would better suit.

 

I support proposals for an M32 Park & Ride but I do not support the proposed location and will campaign for this to be situated further North into South Gloucestershire.

 

A4018

 

The A4018 is a major road route through my constituency travelling from the Bristol Rugby Club to the White Tree Roundabout (including Wyck Beck Road, Passage Road, Falcondale Road and Westbury Road).

 

In my multiple transport consultation meetings with constituents last year, Wyck Beck Road and Falcondale Road were identified as two key problem roads, due to frequent gridlock and associated air pollution.

 

I have long called for a new rail station at Henbury (and its eventual connection to Severn Beach to create the so called Henbury Loop) but have also called for a Park & Ride to reduce car volumes on the A4018 into Bristol. I know that we both agree that creating transport hubs with multi-modal connections is the best approach.

 

However, from the proposals it seems that drivers would need to drive through Henbury or North up the A4018 to park at the Park & Ride before getting the bus or rail connection.

 

These connections will be vital for retail workers at Cribbs Causeway and for into-Bristol flows, but will be absolutely crucial if the Bristol Arena is built at the Brabazon Hanger (due to out of Bristol drivers coming to the area).

 

I therefore continue to support calls for a Park & Ride at Henbury but expect to see:

 

  • A new junction connecting the M5(N) to the Henbury Train Station and Park & Ride, to prevent out of Bristol commuters from driving through Henbury to reach these services; and
  • Road upgrades and new bus lanes along the A4018 so that buses can cut through car congestion to be on time and frequent enough for them to be used by local residents. The Wyke Road part of the A4018, including the adjacent route North to Cribbs Causeway, appears to be wide enough for a new bus route without reducing the number of lanes available to cars.

 

For your information, I have also written to Highways England to seek their advice on point (1) above.

 

GBBN2 (New Bus Networks) and Cycle Routes

This current study seems to fail to set out any proposals for bus route upgrades or new cycle lanes in my constituency.

 

We have key bus route corridors in Bristol North West that can currently hold up buses for the entire city due to traffic congestion in North Bristol and which can lead to long delays and frequent cancellations for knock on routes (for example through Lawrence Weston and Shirehampton).

 

Additionally, many of my constituents will cycle North to Cribbs Causeway or South East to Bristol City Centre for work on often dangerous road networks that have intermittent or no cycle lanes.

 

I assume that proposals for new bus routes will be forthcoming, but I would like reassurance of that alongside a clear commitment to investing in proper cycle lanes too.

 

My various consultation meetings with constituents have all resulted in a clear ask for a super-cycle highway with segregated and maintained cycle lanes between our two major economic areas of Cribbs Causeway and Bristol City Centre. For note, preference has been for these routes to be off of the major roads to reduce the impact of air pollution on cyclists.

 

Missing Areas

 

I understand that this current study is only able to consider certain projects within a certain timeframe, but a number of transport issues in my constituency are notably missing:

 

  • Southmead Hospital Transport Hub

 

The B405 (Southmead Road) is also a problem road, with workers and students commuting to major employers and the University of the West of England in Filton. Residents have concerns that this will increase with the aforementioned developments across the North of Bristol including the potential Bristol Arena. Suggestions had been previously mooted for road upgrades and/or new investment into a Southmead Hospital Transport Hub. Have these now been dropped?

 

  • Avonmouth Industrial Routes

 

I understand that further transport investment can’t be considered for Avonmouth at this stage, instead having to wait for further industrial investment expected after the installation of the flood sea defences. Is that still correct?

 

Regardless, many workers in the Avonmouth / Severnside area have to drive to work or risk their safety by walking or cycling to work. Additionally, industrial traffic continues to use the minor routes along Kingsweston Lane when they should be clearly directed along the Portway and along the existing major road routes.

 

I would like to see travel routes into and around Avonmouth to become more worker friendly and for steps to be taken to properly direct industrial transport.

 

 

  • A38/Gloucester Road

 

The A38/Gloucester Road is clearly a significant challenge, as both a major road route and a busy high street environment. However, significant traffic along this route causes air pollution concerns for many local residents and my constituents have raised questions in my consultation meetings about potential mass transit routes along this road. Please can you set out any proposals you have for this cross-border route.

 

  • RPZ Parking

 

We have started to see significant nuisance parking along the connecting residential roads attached to Stoke Hill and Parrys Lane. Whilst we expect some of this to be student related (and are in ongoing correspondence with Bristol University) we assume that a great deal of this is travel-to-work related. We should therefore do all that we can to encourage park and ride and rail usage from current and proposed sites.

 

I appreciate all of these issues don’t fall under your remit as the regional Mayor, but they do provide the context for many of the requests from my constituents which result in my demands for key transport investment. These investment requests go through the West of England Combined Authority. However, I have naturally copied my colleague Mayor Marvin Rees for his information.

 

I look forward to hearing what plans the West of England Combined Authority have for each of the above issues.

 

Darren Jones MP
Member of Parliament, Bristol North West

, , , ,

Darren shares concerns about Stoke Bishop Parking

MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones has formally shared his concerns about on-going parking issues in Stoke Bishop near the university halls of residence with the council and University of Bristol.

Darren has previously met local residents, and held multiple telephone calls with the University of Bristol about this matter.

Darren said:

“Constituents who live near the University of Bristol halls of residence in Stoke Bishop have contacted my office in recent months regarding escalating parking problems.

I first raised these concerns with the university back in July and in September was assured steps would be taken to reduce the number of cars being brought into Bristol by students as well as the impact of the remaining cars on local residents.

Residents have made it clear the situation has not improved. I have therefore shared my continued concerns with the council and university and asked they urgently consider what action can be taken to alleviate this dangerous and inconsiderate situation“.

You can view Darren’s work on Transport here.

 

 

, , , ,

Darren hosts Mince Pie Politics in Stoke Bishop

MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones held a festive-themed Coffee Morning in Stoke Bishop on Saturday morning. The event was a huge success with over 70 local residents attending to meet their MP and members of their community.

Darren said:

“Thanks to everyone who came along to my immensely popular Mince Pie Politics on Saturday 1st December. There was a healthy discussion about a whole host of local and national issues with a focus on Brexit.

I would particularly like to thank those residents who attended at short notice to discuss their concerns about the fence at Stoke Lodge with me – I will support the community as much as I can on this issue – we must find a compromise so the school and local community can continue to use this space into the future.

I’ll be looking to host more of these events alongside my usual pub and café politics so keep an eye on the webpage for further details“.

, , , ,

Darren meets Stoke Bishop residents regarding Stoke Lodge

MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones met hundreds of concerned residents at Stoke Lodge on Saturday 8th December.

Darren has already shared his concerns with Bristol City Council following recent news reports that a fence at Stoke Lodge will not require the council’s consent and that the school plans to progress these works imminently. The council responded to Darren, local councillors and the We Love Stoke Lodge community group concerns on Friday 7th December, maintaining the new position that a fence did not require planning consent as it is considered permitted development.

Darren has been working closely with key community leaders and local councillors on this matter for some time having previously written to residents, the council and Cotham School about Stoke Lodge alongside chairing several meetings (designed to broker a compromise so both the community and the school can use the site) over the summer.

Darren has also previously met local residents, and separately with staff from Cotham School, to discuss the school’s use of Stoke Lodge green space which (the school propose) would include the erection of a fence, alongside a new changing room/ pavilion building (this application was rejected by the local authority and as yet has not been appealed or a new submission submitted).

Darren said prior to the meeting:

“I’ll be meeting residents at Stoke Lodge on Saturday morning to discuss any updates following last week’s surprise media reports planning consent may not be required for any perimeter fence. Clearly this news was hugely concerning to the many residents and visitors who enjoy this important green space – which includes Bristol’s Tree of the Year. This green space is the only one in walking distance to many local residents.

We’ll also be discussing next steps so we can work to ensure the site can once again be used by the local community and school.

Stoke Bishop has one of the lowest crime and ASB levels in the city, with a close-knit and supportive community and it does not appear the school encountered any reportable near misses or incidents when the school previously used this site unfenced – it is therefore imperative risks are not overstated and the community and school work together to ensure this space is used in harmony for decades to come. I know community reps remain keen to continue engaging with the school and have suggested multiple alternative options. The multiple meetings I have chaired – where all parties were invited – were designed to reach a compromise.

I am obviously concerned to hear the council have continued to advise (including in the most correspondence dated 7th December) that planning consent will not be required for the fence as it is within permitted development rights.

I’ll continue to support residents, and help work towards a compromise, at every opportunity“.

 

, , , ,

Darren to meet Stoke Bishop residents regarding Stoke Lodge

MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones will meet local residents at Stoke Lodge at 9am on Saturday 8th December.

Darren has already shared his concerns with Bristol City Council following recent news reports that a fence at Stoke Lodge will not require the council’s consent and that the school plans to progress these works imminently.

Darren has been working closely with key community leaders and local councillors and has previously written to residents, the council and Cotham School about Stoke Lodge alongside chairing several meetings (designed to broker a compromise so both the community and the school can use the site) over the summer.

Darren has also previously met local residents, and separately with staff from Cotham School, to discuss the school’s use of Stoke Lodge green space which (the school propose) would include the erection of a fence, alongside a new changing room/ pavilion building (this application was rejected by the local authority and as yet has not been appealed or a new submission submitted).

Darren said:

“I’ll be meeting residents at Stoke Lodge on Saturday morning to discuss any updates following last week’s surprise media reports planning consent may not be required for any perimeter fence. Clearly this news was hugely concerning to the many residents and visitors who enjoy this important green space – which includes Bristol’s Tree of the Year. This green space is the only one in walking distance to many local residents.

We’ll also be discussing next steps so we can work to ensure the site can once again be used by the local community and school.

Stoke Bishop has one of the lowest crime and ASB levels in the city, with a close-knit and supportive community and it does not appear the school encountered any reportable near misses or incidents when the school previously used this site unfenced – it is therefore imperative risks are not overstated and the community and school work together to ensure this space is used in harmony for decades to come. I know community reps remain keen to continue engaging with the school and have suggested multiple alternative options. The multiple meetings I have chaired – where all parties were invited – were designed to reach a compromise.

I’ll continue to support residents, and help work towards a compromise, at every opportunity. I look forward to seeing residents on Saturday“.