, , , , , , , , ,

Darren continues to demand transport investment.

Labour MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones has continued to call for large-scale improvements to transport infrastructure in North Bristol following a gridlock conference on Saturday 7th July.

Darren continued to put the needs of his constituents first by bringing together a wide range of experts and community groups from his constituency.

The group discussed the gridlock hot stops across the North Bristol corridor and how they may be impacted by further developments such as the proposed expansion of Cribbs Causeway, new housing developments at Filton airfield, the potential arena at Filton alongside the lifting of Severn Bridge Tolls. Attendees then debated how a Transport Fund for North Bristol could be spent to support solutions to the congestion faced by drivers, encourage more sustainable travel and boost the area’s limited rail, bus and cycle networks.

Ahead of the Gridlock Conference that he chaired, Bristol North West MP, Darren Jones had previously launched a petition calling on the region’s metro mayor, Tim Bowles, to commit at least £50m to a new transport fund for north Bristol and voiced his concerns about congestion with members of the Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP). Darren encouraged the LEP to back plans to invest £50 million into his North Bristol Transport Fund initiative.

Darren said:

“North Bristol is undergoing intensive development alongside a transport system and road network that is struggling to cope with current, let alone future, demands. Congestion is rife and it affects my constituents and local businesses every single day, not just in respect of travel time and parking but also our continued failure to meet air pollution targets. Transport is the number one local concern in North Bristol and anyone who uses our roads, buses and limited local rail network knows our infrastructure can’t cope with proposed development of thousands of new homes and new businesses. Walking is often not safe and cycle routes are inadequate.

With tens of thousands of new homes, plans to expand the Mall at Cribbs Causeway, the lifting of the tolls on the Severn Bridge (with no assessment of how many extra cars this will bring) and the potential for the Bristol Arena to move to North Bristol, we must get our transport solutions sorted now. My Gridlock Conference brought together representatives of transport providers, transport campaign groups, developers, community groups and business representatives who by working together can help to develop a North Bristol Transport Plan.

I had hoped this would be a cross-party initiative – for the benefit of North Bristol. I was keen to work with the Conservative Metro Mayor, Tim Bowles alongside Labour colleagues and I remain disappointed that the Metro Mayor refused to attend this meeting. For my North Bristol Transport Plan to work, we need a North Bristol Transport Fund. The LEP and the Metro Mayor have the ability to fund this, which is why I’m continuing to call on them to get involved and to deliver for my constituents and for North Bristol.”

Local residents can sign up to support Darren’s call for a £50m North Bristol Transport Fund for road, rail, bus, cycling and walking improvements by signing his petition here. 

, , , ,

MP chairs YardArts meeting – notes now available.

MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones  hosted a public meeting with around 50 local residents regarding the proposed YardArts development on Penpole Lane in Shirehampton on 29th June – thank you to everyone who attended. The notes of this meeting are available to view/print below.

Darren said:

“Following my recent survey, over 450 local residents  contacted me to share their views about the proposed YardArts site on Penpole Lane. The majority were against the plans, or at least what we knew of them at the time of writing, and wanted to find out more. I therefore arranged a public meeting on Friday 29th June at the Shirehampton Methodist Church along with YardArts and the landowner of the Karakal site. There was an update received on plans from both parties as well as a useful Question and Answer session. Those able to attend said they found the opportunity useful to hear directly from both parties what they hope to do with the site.

A planning application will be going live from YardArts very soon – please make sure you submit any comments/concerns you have direct to the council so they can take them into consideration. Once the application is live you can do that via this link“.

Meetings notes available here: YardArts Notes 29 6 18

 

, , , , , , , , ,

Darren backs local shops – nominate your high street now!

Bristol North West MP, Darren Jones MP has backed local high streets and urged the government to do more to protect local jobs and the heart of our local communities.

Darren said:

” We know our high streets and shopping parades are struggling – shops are closing across the country and I see the impact of vacant stores here in Bristol North West. Almost 70,000 retail jobs, including shop-floor roles, are set to be axed this year in Britain – according to a new report released by retail magnate Bill Grimsey. His review suggests high streets are facing “their greatest challenge in history”.

Just yesterday, a resident of Westbury-on-Trym shared their concerns about a vacant premise becoming a target for petty vandalism and the number of stores now empty in the village. I’ll be meeting with a representative from Westbury Business Association next week to discuss what I can do to help champion all of our high streets.

The government must urgently re-assess the support they are giving to small, family run shops, as well as the medium and larger chains who are not immune to these pressures, and the rates they charge them – high streets are the lifeblood of our communities.

I’m also working hard to bring infrastructure investment to Bristol North West – we know congestion, and irregular or unreliable bus, rail and cycle routes can put people off visiting a high street and only encourages them to visit out-of-town retailers and shop online. Our transport network must support local high streets and encourage use of public transport.

I am also urging residents to do their bit – shop locally, support locally-run businesses and nominate their high street for the Visa Great British High Street competition“.

#MyHighStreet

 

 

 

 

, , , , , , , , , ,

Free event being held in Bristol for EU Nationals

Are you an EU national concerned about your personal situation after Brexit?

Have you got questions about settled status?

Avon and Bristol Law Centre are hosting a Q and A with an EU Commission solicitor on Tuesday 31st July at Hamilton House.

The session is free to attend and will be geared towards EU nationals who have concerns about their rights as EU citizens.

Reserve your ticket here.

, , , , ,

Darren writes to Cotham School about Stoke Lodge

MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones has recently met local residents, and separately with staff from Cotham School, to discuss the school’s use of Stoke Lodge green space which would include the erection of a fence, alongside submission of a planning application to erect a new changing room building and works to the existing changing rooms.

Following his investigation, Darren how now wrote to Cotham School:

 

    

, , , , ,

Darren updates residents on Avonmouth Flies

MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones has been investigating the on-going fly problem in the Avonmouth area alongside the council and Environment Agency. Darren has met with a number of prominent businesses in the area to see their on-site practises and discuss local resident concerns.  Here’s Darren’s latest update:

Darren said:

Over the early May Bank Holiday weekend, I received hundreds of comments from residents across Avonmouth, Shirehampton, Lawrence Weston and Henbury – as well as some as far as Southmead and Henleaze- about an unacceptable increase in the amount of flies in the area.

Investigations have concluded that there was no particular infestation of flies, or a breach of Environmental Agency rules, but that is not to say that the number of flies in the area is acceptable.

I have since met with many companies in Avonmouth, including the Bristol Port, and have spoken with Bristol City Council, the Environment Agency, local residents and Avonmouth-based factory workers.

From the evidence available to me, I can only conclude that we now have too many waste processing companies in Avonmouth.

In only a few years, we have gone from processing tens of thousands of bales of black bin waste to hundreds of thousands. And whilst some businesses have high quality facilities in which to accept, process and transport waste bundles others do not.

My view, therefore, is that enough is enough. We can not accept any further waste processing facilities in Avonmouth and I call upon those we already have to invest in their facilities to ensure the highest standards of protection.

I have also recently supported legislation for new waste enforcement powers in Westminster and, in conjunction with Bristol City Council, I am seeking to find legal solutions to keep potentially polluting companies as far aware from residents.

Lastly, I want to see a diversification of the type of businesses and jobs in Avonmouth. We do not want Avonmouth to be the waste capital of Europe, we want good quality high paying long term jobs for local people”.

Anyone seeing an increase in flies should report this to the council’s Environmental Health team immediately. However, if you think the flies are coming from a regulated waste business then please report your concerns to the Environment Agency.

 

, , , ,

Public meeting on YardArts Development

MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones will be hosting a public meeting regarding the proposed YardArts development on Penpole Lane in Shirehampton.

Darren said:

“Following my survey, over 430 local residents have now contacted me to share their views about the proposed YardArts site on Penpole Lane. The majority are against the plans, or at least what we knew of them at the time of writing, and are concerned about more cars on a tricky junction, impact on local ecology and wildlife and residential use next to Kings Weston Estate.

Most respondents wanted to hear more from YardArts so I’ve arranged a public meeting from 6.30 to 8pm on Friday 29th June at the Shirehampton Methodist Church.

YardArts will be there and the landowner, who has recently been undertaking a number of permitted works as well as submitting a new planning application for self-store units, has been invited.

There will a brief round-up of my survey results, discussion of the YardArts planning application and the opportunity to ask questions.

The Church can seat just over 100 and hold a few more standing so please get there ready for a prompt 6.30 start to guarantee a space”.

, , , ,

Darren updates residents on Stoke Lodge

MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones has recently met local residents, and separately with staff from Cotham School, to discuss the school’s use of Stoke Lodge green space which would include the erection of a fence, alongside submission of a planning application to erect a new changing room building and works to the existing changing rooms.

Darren said on the ‘We Love Stoke Lodge’ Facebook group on 6th June:

“I wanted to share an e-mail with you as residents, which is exactly the same as the e-mail I’ve just sent to Cotham School.

Dear Residents,

I wanted to drop you a quick note of update on Stoke Lodge playing fields. Since we met, I have met with Cotham School and sought the advice of various stakeholders to assess best practice and guidance.

That has included liaising with planning lawyers and Ofsted (who I have now spoken with), and Bristol City Council and the HSE (who I am still due to speak with). I have also tabled a written parliamentary question to the Department of Education, who I understand from Ofsted is the direct “regulator” of Cotham School.

In doing so, I’m seeking to bring together the views I’ve heard from both Cotham School and my constituents with impartial advice from relevant organisations. Once I have finished that process I will write to you with the advice I have received, my initial conclusions and any suggested recommendations I might be able to make on how to get the best outcome for both the school and for local residents. I hope to be able to do that within the next week or two (depending on when I get the answer to my written parliamentary question).

If you have any further questions in the meantime, please do come back to me.

Best wishes

Darren

Darren Jones MP
Member of Parliament, Bristol North West
www.darren-jones.co.uk | fb.com/darrenjonesmp | @darrenpjones
Your Voice in Parliament. Your Champion in Bristol”.

, , , , , , , , , ,

Darren continues campaign for £50m transport fund

Ahead of his Gridlock Conference in July, Bristol North West MP, Darren Jones has written to all Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) members to encourage them to invest £50 million into his North Bristol Transport Fund initiative.

Darren said:

“North Bristol is undergoing intensive development alongside a transport system and road network that is struggling to cope with current, let alone future, demands. Congestion is rife and it affects my constituents and local businesses every single day, not just in respect of travel time and parking but also our continued failure to meet air pollution targets.

Transport is the number one local concern in North Bristol and anyone who uses our roads, buses and limited local rail network knows our infrastructure can’t cope with proposed development of thousands of new homes and new businesses. Walking is often not safe and cycle routes are inadequate.

With tens of thousands of new homes, plans to expand the Mall at Cribbs Causeway, the lifting of the tolls on the Severn Bridge and the potential for the Bristol Arena to move to North Bristol, we must get our transport solutions sorted now.

I’ve therefore organised a Gridlock Conference in early July with representatives of transport providers, transport campaign groups, developers and business representatives who will help develop a North Bristol Transport Plan.

This is a cross-party initiative and I’ll be working with Conservative and Liberal Democrat councillors as well as Labour colleagues. But I am disappointed that the Metro Mayor, Tim Bowles, has refused to attend this meeting, or send anyone from his organisation.

For my North Bristol Transport Plan to work, we need a North Bristol Transport Fund. The LEP and the Metro Mayor have the ability to fund this, which is why I’m calling on them to get involved and to deliver for my constituents and for North Bristol.”

Local residents can sign up to support Darren’s call for a £50m North Bristol Transport Fund for road, rail, bus, cycling and walking improvements by signing his petition here.”

, , , , ,

Darren Talks With Police About Local Car Crime

MP for Bristol North West, Darren Jones has recently received concerns from several constituents in the Shirehampton, Lawrence Weston and Sea Mills area about an increase in car crime and arson.

Darren said:

“ I am aware of multiple incidents of car theft and arson locally in recent weeks. Please be on your guard. I shared my concerns with the local beat teams – their positive and swift response is included below. I’ll continue to monitor this situation and encourage anyone with concerns or information to call the police on 101 or, if it is an emergency, 999.

You can continue to share your general views and experiences on my crime and policing-focused survey: http://darren-jones.co.uk/police/“.

Response from the Local Beat Team Inspector:

This is an issue that we too have recognised and have been monitoring. In terms of our response to this we have been raising our patrols in the area for reassurance and have also requested that a briefing document be prepared for the wider patrol units to ensure that we have a higher than usual Police presence in the area around the times the offences are being committed.

I would request that all residents are vigilant and do report any suspicious behaviour to Police. This will allow us to respond and carry out checks on persons which will help in disrupting the behaviour and reduce crime. We have a local Ward meeting this week on Thursday (17th) and I will request that officers attending this ensure they present on this issue. I will also request a letter drop be carried out in the effected roads to raise awareness and give Crime Prevention advice to the wider community.