Bristol, and the rest of the UK, is now in lockdown. To protect your loved ones, please stay at home.

What you need to know about Coronavirus in Bristol Northwest

Bristol, and the rest of the UK, are now in lockdown. This means that you should stay at home. Outside of a few exceptions, you should only leave your house to buy foods/supplies/medicines, or care for a vulnerable person.

The best resource for finding out how Coronavirus is the dedicated NHS FAQ page.

The majority of people that get Coronavirus will experience mild or moderate symptoms, and will be able to cope at home without needing to contact the NHS.

To assist the NHS in helping people that need care most urgently, please use their online services (instead of phoning) where possible. Please do not visit GPs and other NHS facilities if you want advice on Coronavirus.

Coronavirus FAQs

What will the Government do to support people who are self-isolating?

Government advice for those that are self-isolating is to stay at home for 14 days. 

The advice is to plan ahead so that you do not have to leave your house to purchase food and other goods during that time. You can still leave the house to exercise, but this should be done at a safe distance from others.

The Government has said that self-isolation counts as being ill for the purposes of sick leave, and had strongly advised employers to use their discretion to allow a full 14-day period of sick leave for people who are self-isolating without a note from a doctor. This is because people who are self-isolating have been advised not to visit their GP.

If you require help with buying groceries, other shopping or picking up medication, or walking a dog, you will need to ask friends, relatives or neighbours. Alternatively, you can order medication by phone or online. You can also order your shopping online. Make sure you tell delivery drivers to leave items outside for collection if you order online. The delivery driver should not come into your home.

There are community groups being set up to help people who are self-isolating. You can join our North Bristol Corona Community Response Group here:

You can find guidance on what to do if you are self-isolating on the Government website (including what to do if a vulnerable person lives with you) here:

Lots of constituents have asked about what the Government will do to protect people who fall behind on their bills and/or rent because they are self-isolating or because they lose their job as a result of lower economic activity.

Alongside my colleagues, I have been raising these issues in Parliament so that everyone has the information and support that they need during this time.

Our expectation is that the Government should announce further measures it is taking to support people through this crisis in the coming days

What are the symptoms of Coronavirus?

The NHS has identified the following symptoms of coronavirus:

  1. A dry cough
  2. A high temperature
  3. Shortness of breath

Although it’s possible to have these symptoms but not have the Coronavirus, you should act under the assumption that you do have the virus.

Everyone should stay at home for the next 3 weeks and follow the lockdown guidance.

Additionally, if you or someone in your household experience any of Coronavirus symptoms, please self-isolate at home for the next 14 days. You should not go to work, use public transport and you should avoid leaving the house to get food, supplies or medicine. Instead, please ask neighbours, friends or family to get these supplies for you or arrange for them to be delivered. For more information, use this Government advice.

If your condition worsens, please check the NHS 111 webpage for advice.

Where are safe places to get information about the Coronavirus?

Spreading misinformation won’t help us protect against the Coronavirus, but unfortunately, it is very easily done.

These are the best places to get safe and reliable information about the Coronavirus. If you see information online that looks sensational or incorrect, please report it (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram). 

Another good place to check if Coronavirus content is true and accurate is at Full Fact. They have a guide about spotting false information here.

This page, and my Facebook page, will be updated regularly and uses the NHS and Gov. website for information about the Coronavirus.

I need to travel. What should I know?

If you are currently abroad, you should return to the UK, if flights are still available. If you cannot go home, please follow the advice of the local authority and contact me via email

If you are in the UK you must stay at home and avoid unnecessary travel. If you need to leave the house to buy food and supplies or exercise, you must stay 2 metres away from people not in your household.

Public transport is still running in the UK, transport providers have introduced reduced train and bus services. Please only use public transport for essential travel only. 

If you use public transport you should wash your hands for 20 seconds as soon as you get to your destination, and avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.

What can I do to prevent the spread of Coronavirus?

The best way to help and stay healthy is to follow the advice of the NHS.

Everybody needs to stay at home and practise social distancing.

  1. Stay at home and avoid any unnecessary travelling. Non-essential shops, restaurants, pubs, cinemas and other social venues are closed (except for takeout).
  2. Only leave the house to exercise (once a day) or purchase food/supplies/medicine (as infrequently as possible).
  3. Please keep 2 metres away from people not in your household, even if you are outside. This includes greetings, handshakes and goodbyes.
  4. Wash your hands with soap/sanitiser frequently and making sure you catch coughs and sneezes in a tissue and throw that in the bin.

Additionally, if you or someone in your household has Coronavirus symptoms you should stay at home for 14 days. You should avoid leaving the house during this time. You can find self isolation guidance here.

The Coronavirus is contagious even when displaying only minor symptoms. If your friends, colleagues or family are displaying symptoms, please advise them to stay at home too.

Does the Coronavirus only affect older people, or are others at risk?

People of all ages can catch the Coronavirus, and all can help in preventing its spread and helping vulnerable people. The best way to help is to stay home, if you must leave home follow social distancing (keep 2 metres away from others) and to make sure that you wash your hands with soap/sanitiser frequently.

Older people over 70, and those with a relevant pre-existing health condition, are more at risk of severe cases of Coronavirus. Those in high-risk categories will be prioritised in the current vaccine roll-out.

Should I seek a doctor if I think I have the Coronavirus?

NHS medical advice is to stay at home and self-isolate for the next 14 days if you are experiencing coronavirus symptoms (new and persistent cough or a temperature over 37c). You should follow this advice if someone in your household has the virus, even if you do not have symptoms.

Please do NOT go to your local GP or A&E if you believe you may have the Coronavirus.

If your condition gets worse, your symptoms do not improve within 7 days or you cannot cope with your symptoms at home, please use the NHS 111 online service.

Should I keep going to work or sending my children to school?

As Bristol is now in lockdown, you should work from home. Government advice is that you may still go to work if it is impossible for you to work from home. If you are unable to work from home, we recommend you speak to your employer and assess if it is absolutely necessary for you to continue coming into work.

All schools and further education providers are currently closed for most pupils. If your child receives Free School Meals, your school will continue to provide this assistance.

  • The Government is advising all those that can work-from-home to do so. It is best to check with your business or employer for advice on this. 
  • If you are a worker involved in frontline Coronavirus support (Government list here), your children can still go to school if necessary.
  • If you have children who require additional support, including those with a social worker or an educational health and care plan, your children can still go to school.

To maintain the full-time capacity of my constituency office, my team will be working from their homes over the coming weeks.

Should I continue to use public transport?

Current advice is to stay home, avoid unnecessary travel and practise social distancing. If you do need to use public transport, please remember to wear a mask, wash your hands and be courteous of other travellers.

Last Update: 26/01/2021